Sunday, November 4, 2012

Start Today, Not Tomorrow!


How many times have you said I’ll start working out tomorrow?

If you’re like most Americans, you spent the weekend doing everything except getting enough exercise. At least that’s what was said about Americans back in 2002 when CNN reported that only 30% of individuals were exercising three or more times per week.

I can honestly say that I was a victim of the “I’ll start tomorrow” disease year after year but in 2004, I signed up for my first marathon with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team In Training program.  I don’t think I knew a marathon was 26.2 miles at the time but supporting this organization in memory of my grandfather seemed like a great way to work out regularly and improve my fitness.  Most non endurance athletes would think that if you run a marathon you are in really great shape, but that is not always the case.  Anyone with a body can be an endurance athlete with the right mental attitude and willingness to train.  I say this because I completed multiple endurance events including marathons, century rides and triathlons by doing the least amount of training possible due to time constraints or plain laziness. 

Today, it’s estimated that the trend in exercising has increased to over 50% but with over 300 million Americans, there are still over 150 million people NOT exercising and my goal is to encourage hundreds and maybe even thousands of people to get moving.  Exercising obviously decreases the risk of many chronic diseases but making a lifestyle change can be tough which is why I have refocused my life to improve my overall health while encouraging others to improve their lives as well.

I’m currently pursuing my Master’s degree in Kinesiology and taking courses in Exercise Physiology, Sports Psychology and Analysis of Human Movement to have a better understanding of how the body works.  I feel this is key in providing the best information for individuals wanting to improve their well being but also enhance performance.  I lost 20 lbs in less than three months this year and focused on strength training which allowed me to finally place in my age group at four different 5k’s and sprint triathlon races.  I’m a born again gym rat and look forward to helping people achieve their fitness and triathlon goals as I document my journey to my second Ironman in Lake Tahoe in 2013. 

So until next time, don't put off what you can do today until tomorrow! 
Take on The Heat Triathlon, 3rd place AG 30-34




1 comment: